Everyday tasks Day 9:
Maths task day 9:
Telling the time/ understanding language of the passing of time.
Use clocks around your home- digital ones on ipads or cookers or analogue clocks on watches, or wall-clocks if you have one.
- Draw a large circle on one page of your learning journal book
- Put a dot in the middle of your circle
- We are going to draw a clock face, adding the numbers in this order please:-
- Starting with number 12 at the top
- Next number 6 at the bottom
- Next number 3
- Next number 9
- Then add numbers 1 and 2
- Then numbers 4 and 5
- After that numbers 7 and 8
- Finally numbers 10 and 11
- Ask your child to point to number 3 or 5 or 7 or 2 or 9 etc. ask them:
- which number is before that number or
- what number is after
- Show them 8 o’clock – some children may draw the hour and minute hands on their clock face to show 8 o’clock. Otherwise parents please do this for them and say “This shows 8 o’clock.”
- Talk about what time they get up (7 o’clock?), have lunch ( 12 o’clock), have tea ( 5 o’clock), read a story ( 6 o’clock), go to bed ( 7 o’clock?).
- Understanding the passage of time and then being able to tell the time, involves children learning and remembering lots of vocabulary. Please try to use the following words as often as possible [ and encourage your child to use them too]:-
- Yesterday, today, tomorrow, before, now, after, next,
- Year, month, week, day
- Morning, mid-day, afternoon, evening, night, mid-night
- Clock, hands, hour, minute, second, O’clock, half past, quarter past, quarter to
- Days of the week
- Months of the year
English phonic/ writing task:
We are split into 2 groups for our phonics work.
- If you are in Mrs Masters’ group [ BH SE LL HW RL LB] then please complete phonic sheet page 33 - say the sound, write the missing sounds, then read the word
- If you are in Mrs Osborn’s group [ LL CC CT JT OH ZB],, then please use phonic sheet page Unit 3 and again choose DIFFERENT 4 words and write 4 sentences using at least one each of your chosen words
Use the sound cards in your pack
- Find these sounds:- t b m b c d r a, e, i, o, u -z and ll, ff, ss zz and try to make as many words as possible e.g. b a ll / c r o ss
- Use all the sounds in your pack and make 100 words!!
- Read your favourite book (from your book bag or one from home).
- Write a sentence to tell me why you think it is a good book..
I think it is good because…
Make some playdoh and use it to make your own sea creature!
Playdoh recipe as follows:-
250g plain flour
1-2 tablespoons of cooking oil
Food colouring if you have it- a couple of drops
Mix flour & salt, then add the water & oil & food colouring and mix everything together. Knead it and put it in a plastic bag to chill in the fridge for half an hour or so, then use it!!
Have fun making a great sea creature!